Tuesday, February 15, 2011

When you're lost



For this assignment, I decided to combine road maps... or zoning maps and trees. Lately there has been such a problem with sustainability and I'm running with the idea that you can't see the trees through the forest but now you can't see the tree through the city. As much as I love new construction, I think I love forests and nature more. Between over population and pollution the world is getting too much. But even I forget about it and it fades in and out of my thought process. So I'm layering overhead projection sheets and using black and gray markers then I think I will take tracing paper and layer it between the zoning maps and the tree to fog out the tree. The idea is to mimic a window and blowing your breath on a fogged window. You can draw in it and it fades but you can re fog the window and bring it back again. But eventually it fades away.

It has been interesting drawing on the transparencies because I'm using Prismacolor markers which I love for rendering interiors, however, they render even lighter on this medium. It's really perfect because it ends up looking like the gray of where you have written in the fog but I wanted to make it look 3D in the end but maybe that would read kind of wrong.  I really hope to finish the tree today and then trace the maps like the artist we studied in class (I can't remember her name right now.) There should be three sheets all together of drawings. I had half the thought to draw in a bit of color but you would never see that on the window.

The next thing I need to consider is if I want to present it in a frame or not... how does the wood read? I just used the wood from the trees I'm trying to protect? Or do I use reclaimed wood? Where do I find reclaimed wood? Or better yet, do I use 2 x 4s? or 1 x 2's?

No comments:

Post a Comment